loading

Request A Meeting

Power Factor Correction

PFC is an electrical engineering product that sits between your incoming power feed and your current electrical board.

WHAT DOES PFC DO?

Power factor correction corrects your power factor and makes the number as close to 1 as possible.

WHAT IS POWER FACTOR?

Power factor is the ratio of the real power flowing to the load, to the apparent power in the circuit. This is a number between -1 and 1. Real power is the capacity of the circuit for performing work in a particular time. Apparent power is the product of the current and voltage of the circuit.

Due to energy stored in the load and returned to the source, or due to a non-linear load that distorts the wave shape of the current drawn from the source, the apparent power will be greater than the real power. A negative power factor occurs when the device which is normally the load generates power which then flows back towards the device which is normally considered the generator.

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PFC?

A typical motor running at 50% capacity has a power factor of 0.73. This means only 73% of its current goes into mechanical work. If you are charged for reactive consumption, that means you are paying for the other 27% of power that your machine is not using. That 27% adds to power losses in the circuit’s wiring and connections. The useless current also requires circuit components to have higher current and power ratings. So you are paying money for electricity that you are not benefiting from, and you are having to pay for more expensive equipment to manage the useless current. PFC stops the waste and reduces your power bill.

Do you need help with lowering your power costs?

Contact us now – our team are ready to help you.

Book a Meeting
Powerhouse Energy Solutions